Arthritis is a common affliction of the aging pet that results in pain, swelling, stiffness, and limited movement in varying degrees. It is caused by inflammation from various sources, and can occur as a crippling condition or simply a slowing down attributed to aging. Though the severity differs with each individual animal, arthritis is not a localized problem, but a systemic disorder often associated with a metabolic deficiency, which results in inflammation.
When the body’s organs are not functioning properly due to nutritional deficiencies, metabolism suffers. When the body cannot metabolize nutrients, it leads to an accumulation of minerals and calcium in the joints. Pain increases as the cartilage becomes brittle and dry and ligaments lose flexibility and tone. Viral and bacterial problems can also lead to arthritis, as can conformational abnormalities.
The most common factors that cause arthritis include: faulty nutrition, improper diet, supplement deficiencies, stress, buildup of toxins, obesity, ageing, lack of exercise, environmental factors, genetics and infection.
Beginning with prevention, avoid commercial kibbles, pouched foods, canned foods and treats that are loaded with chemicals. These products are often culprits that cause many health problems for your pet, including the perfect environment to induce arthritic inflammation. We always recommend all-natural foods that contain no chemicals, colorings, or preservatives of any sort.
Nutritional Help for Canine Arthritis
The following products help to relieve the symptoms of arthritis pain and prevent further damage to the joints…
- Glucosamine is a compound found naturally in the body, made from glucose (sugar) and the amino acid glutamine. Glucosamine is needed to produce glycosaminoglycan, a molecule used in the formation and repair of cartilage and other body tissues. Production of glucosamine slows with age.
- Chondroitan Sulfate and Glycosaminoglycans are found in the lubricating fluid of the joints and as components in cartilage. Five kinds of glycosaminoglycans have been found in the tissues and fluids of vertebrates such as chondroitin sulfates, keratin sulfates, dermatan sulfates, hyaluronic acid, heparin and heparin sulfate.
- Chuchuhuasi (trembling bark) reduces inflammation and relaxes muscles resulting in pain relief; it inhibits protein kinase C which is believed to be responsible for many diseases. It is also helps in supporting adrenal gland function.
- Green Lipped Mussels (Perna Canaliculus) contain five kinds of Omega-3 (EPA, DHA, ETA, OTA, etc) all of which are necessary for the body. Green lipped mussel extract contains a rich blend of natural proteins, minerals, and mucopolysaccharides. These naturally occurring mussel extract substances are gaining attention for their ability to help joint mobility, cartilage maintenance, and overall health. Although some inflammation is normal under certain conditions, consistent or excessive inflammation can result in pain and damage to the body, including the joints. Green lipped mussel inhibits overall inflammation.
- Celery Seeds are included in formulas for treating arthritis and gout because it helps to subdue muscle spasms, calm the nerves, and reduce inflammation.
- Devils Claw has anti-inflammatory properties, and is said to ease aches and stiffness in joints as well as relieve pain. A study in France that compared devil’s claw to a prescription medication for arthritis showed that both the herb and the prescription remedy had equal abilities to relieve pain.
- Bamboo is a plant that contains over 70% organic silica extract and is the richest known source of natural silica. It plays an important role in the integrity of skin, ligaments, tendons, bone, teeth, hair, nails and gums. Another benefit of bamboo is to support bone growth, heal bones and to relieve joint pain by increasing flexibility.
- Coral Bean Bark opens up meridian channels, and is used for relaxing striated muscles.
- Turmeric aids circulation, pain relief, and is a strong anti-inflammatory.
- Ginger stimulates circulation, reduces spasms, and enhances other herbs.
- Pyrola increases durability of muscles and tendons.
- Guaco is a significant source of the natural plant chemical, coumarin (as high as 11% in some guaco plants).
- Iporuru is an anti-inflammatory, and ides in pain relief, anti-tumor, and flexibility.
- Chamomile is calmative, anti-inflammatory, and an antioxidant.
- Magnesium assists in calcium & potassium uptake. Prevents calcification of soft tissue, fights acid buildup, and neutralizes toxins.
- Charcoal eliminates toxins in joints, and aids mobility.
- Fruit X is composed of calcium, fructose, and the important element boron. Boron has a long standing relationship with the safeguarding of healthy bones and joints with improved joint mobility
- Krill Oil reduces pain and is a high source of omega 3 oils offering stiffness relief, anti-inflammatory, antioxidants, and protection against cellular damage.
- Collagen is a type of protein and is the primary protein of connective tissue with approximately 25% of the body consisting of collagen. Collagen interacts with bone, skin, ligaments (main component), tendons (main component), muscle and cartilage.